Brownfield Redevelopment Solutions
Working with a stakeholder group, Envision Utah has developed a multi-disciplinary tool to expedite the land redevelopment process without sacrificing environmental and land-use standards. Envision Utah's newly designed tool, Brownfield Redevelopment Solutions, guides the reader step-by-step through a typical brownfield redevelopment process, citing local examples and other beneficial resources. This toolbox will serve as a resource not only for those new to brownfield redevelopment, but also as a reference for professionals with years of experience. The American Express Center for Community Development and the United States Environmental Protection Agency provided funding for this resource.
- Brownfield Redevelopment Toolbox (PDF 1.55 MB)
Envision Utah Redevelopment Potential Model
This easy-to-use model estimates development costs and revenues in a potential redevelopment area, helping local planning officials understand their role in affecting redevelopment potential.
- Redevelopment Solutions Overview (PDF 100 KB)
In February 2006, Envision Utah introduced its new resource, Workforce Housing: Markets, Realities, Concerns and Solutions. Utah's demographics are undergoing dramatic changes that drive demand for a broader diversity of housing types than is now available, yet many communities are apprehensive about changes they perceive such housing may bring.
This compilation includes research on:
- Utah's changing housing market
- Potential advantages and negative impacts of multi-family housing on property values, parking, traffic congestion, and crime
- Public opinion and attitudes towards housing alternatives
- Model ordinances, innovative zoning strategies, and compatible design criteria
The American Express Center for Community Development, Olene Walker Housing Loan Fund, ChevronTexaco, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Foundation, Fannie Mae, Garbett Homes, Morgan Stanley Bank, and Wells Fargo Bank funded this resource. Municipalities can obtain free copies by calling Kevin Fayles with Envision Utah at (801) 303-1462.
Local Government Economic Development Toolbox
This toolbox was created in conjunction with state and local experts, the American Planning Association, and the consulting firms of FutureWorks and ECONorthwest. It is intended to systemically address approaches to economic development. In particular, the toolbox helps communities develop and implement strategies to bring new jobs and wealth into the community.
- Part I: Executive Summary for Non-Professionals (PDF 768 KB)
- Part II & III: Professional Toolbox & Case Studies (PDF 557 KB)
- Part IV: Appendices (PDF 128 KB)
TOD Resource Guide
This handbooks lays out a comprehensive framework for understanding, designing and implementing transit-oriented development. The guidelines are also good practice for any area that wants to create a distinct, walkable community.
- Wasatch Front Transit Oriented Development Guidelines (PDF 5.14 MB)
Urban Planning Tools for Quality Growth
Now, more than ever, local municipalities are looking for tools to help them plan for the future of their communities. Timing is critical for communities to work together to protect Utah’s quality of life for future generations. Envision Utah is committed to assisting communities, throughout the Greater Wasatch Area, by providing them with needed tools and resources to help preserve critical lands, conserve water resources, enhance air quality, develop alternative transportation choices and create housing options for all residents.
Envision Utah has developed a toolbox, “Urban Planning Tools for Quality Growth". Using examples of local and national development codes, design standards, and innovative planning strategies, the Toolbox is designed to assist communities as they plan for the future through various types and stages of development. Topics include: protecting sensitive lands, meeting housing needs of residents, creating pedestrian-friendly residential and commercial development, re-using our underutilized lands, increasing public safety through street design, conserving water resources, using energy wisely and enhancing urban forests in our communities.
Envision Utah offers special training opportunities to help interested citizens, mayors, commissioners, city council members, planning commissioners, developers, realtors and other key stakeholders learn more about our Implementation Toolbox. The purpose of the training is to bring a more in depth understanding of the issues covered in the toolbox to help maximize its effectiveness. The Toolbox is available FREE OF CHARGE to groups willing to participate in the workshop. Those not able to participate in a training session can purchase the toolbox for $50.00.
To purchase a hard copy of the Urban Planning Tools for Quality Growth toolbox
please call (801) 303-1462.
Electronic Copy of Envision Utah Toolbox (Two Parts)
- Part I - Urban Planning Tools for Quality Growth, First Edition (PDF 2.5 MB)
- Part II - Urban Planning Tools for Quality Growth, 2002 Supplement (PDF 2.6 MB)
View the Envision Utah Toolbox (By Chapter)
- Introduction, First Edition - Urban Planning Tools for Quality Growth (PDF 561 KB)
- Chapter 1 - Protecting Sensitive Lands (PDF 469 KB)
- Chapter 2 - Meeting Housing Needs (PDF 525 KB)
- Chapter 3 - Making Our Community A Good Place to Walk (PDF 1.0 MB)
- Chapter 4 - Reuse and Infill (PDF 588 KB)
- Introduction, 2002 Supplement (PDF 135 KB)
- Chapter 5 - Water Conservation (PDF 491 KB)
- Chapter 6 - Urban Forestry (PDF 555 KB)
- Chapter 7 - Energy Conservation (PDF 405 KB)
- Chapter 8 - Strategies for Walkable Commercial Development (PDF 854 KB)
- Chapter 9 - Public Safety and Residential Street Design Acknowledgements - Toolbox Committee (PDF 397 KB)
- Acknowledgements - Toolbox Committee (PDF 127 KB)